By Coopertailor | 24 November 2021 | 0 Comments
6 things you should know about jersey knit
What's jersey knit
Knitted jersey is a kind of thin knitted fabric. Because of its strong hygroscopicity, it is often used as close-fitting clothing. Generally, fine or medium pure cotton or blended yarns are used on warp knitting or weft knitting machines with plain needles, tuck, ribs, jacquard and other weaves to knit into single-sided or double-sided fabrics, and then bleached, dyed, printed, Finished, and then tailored into various styles of singlets and vests.
Common jerseys include bleached jersey, extra-white jersey, fine bleached jersey, singeed mercerized jersey; according to the dyeing and finishing process, there are plain jersey, printed jersey, navy striped jersey; according to the raw materials used Different types include blended jersey, silk jersey, acrylic jersey, polyester jersey, ramie jersey, etc.
The common characteristics of knitted jersey, the dry weight per square meter is generally 80-120g/㎡, the cloth surface is smooth, the texture is clear, the texture is fine, the hand feels smooth, the vertical and horizontal extensibility are good, and the horizontal extensibility is greater than the vertical extensibility . It has good moisture absorption and air permeability, but it has dispersibility and curling properties, and sometimes the phenomenon of coil skew occurs.
What is jersey knit used for
Knitted jerseys are mostly used for personal clothing in knitted clothing, such as jersey knit comforter, jersey knit dress, jersey knit blanket, jersey knit jumpsuit, christmas jersey knit fabric, T-shirts, tie dye jersey knit fabric, Polo shirts, fashion, home wear, vests, underwear, sports and leisure knitted clothing, baby clothing, etc.
It can also be widely used in composite fabrics, clothing accessories, etc. It is the most common and most widely used knitted fabric.
Knitted jersey is comfortable to wear, close to the body, free of tightness, and can fully embody the curves of the human body.
Is jersey knit breathable
Jersey knit has excellent air permeability. Because knitted jersey is fluffy and soft, there will be a layer of thin fleece on the surface of the fabric, and the porous structure composed of loops is loose, and the skin rubs against the surface of the fabric to give people a comfortable and soft feeling. Since the jersey knit is composed of loops, airbags and isolation are formed inside the fabric, which has good warmth retention and excellent air permeability.
In addition, plant and animal fibers have a certain absorption capacity, especially cotton fiber has the best moisture absorption performance.
Therefore, wearing cotton jersey knit in the summer feels cooler without feeling discomfort.
Will jersey knit fabric shrink
Jersey knit will shrink to a certain extent, especially pure cotton jersey knit fabrics. The shrinkage rate of common knitted cotton jersey can reach -5% to -10%.
This is because of the particularity of knitted fabrics-almost all are made of nested loops. There are gaps between the loops, and the fabric will be exposed to water. Shrinkage, which leads to shrinkage problems. The shrinkage rate of jersey knitted fabrics can not be controlled by heat setting treatment alone. It needs to match the density of the fabric, the required width and weight.
To put it simply, if the weight and width are not taken into consideration, the shrinkage rate can be controlled to zero in theory, but it is often impossible in reality. In addition to the width and weight requirements of knitted jerseys, the method of rolling cloth, loosening cloth, dragging during transportation, etc., may cause changes in shrinkage.
Therefore, many garment factories often perform steam pre-shrinking before cutting to ensure that the shrinkage rate after washing is small enough.
Is jersey knit fabric stretchy
Jersey knit itself has a certain elasticity. Knitted jersey is a fabric formed by bending yarns into loops with knitting needles and stringing them together. It has good elasticity, moisture absorption, breathability, comfort and warmth.
Nowadays, spandex yarn is widely added to knitted jersey in the market, so that the cotton knitted fabric has elasticity, make the stretch jersey knit possible.
Compared with knitted pure cotton fabric, it has better elasticity, softer feel, better comfort, not easy to deform, good air permeability, strong moisture absorption, high comfort, elasticity, smooth cloth surface, clear texture, fine texture, It feels smooth and has good extensibility in both vertical and horizontal directions, which can outline a beautiful curve of the human body. It is suitable for the production of high-quality T-shirts, home wear, children's clothing, underwear, shorts and other clothing.
Jersey knit fabric for baby clothes
Jersey knit has good elasticity, moisture absorption, breathability, comfort and warmth, and is often used in baby clothing, such as long sleeve baby romper.
The knitted jersey fabric used in baby clothing has the following characteristics:
1. Security. According to the requirements of the specification, the textile products are classified by ABC. Category A: Products for infants and young children; Category B: Products that directly contact the skin; Category C: Products that do not directly contact the skin. Underwear for infants and young children is category A, and has stricter requirements than categories B and C in terms of pH, formaldehyde content, color fastness (saliva resistance), etc., and provides better protection for infants and young children.
2. Soft. Infants and young children are in a critical period of establishing a sense of security. The soft touch of clothing can not only bring intuitive physical comfort, but also soothe the baby's uneasy emotions when the mother is not around, thereby helping the baby to establish a sense of security and enthusiasm for exploring the outside world.
3. Temperature. Good temperature is related to the baby's physique and the way of dressing. Infants and young children have poor body temperature regulation and are sensitive to temperature changes. Low body temperature may cause a decrease in resistance, so you need to adjust your clothes in time according to temperature changes. The discomfort caused by sweat on the skin surface is much greater than the surface temperature of the skin. If the sweat cannot be transferred to the outside atmosphere through the fabric in time, the humidity in the microclimate between the skin and the fabric will increase. This increase in humidity hinders the evaporation of sweat, which in turn makes the human body feel stuffy and sticky. Therefore, a good fabric needs to be able to absorb moisture and wick away sweat.
4. Skin-friendly. The skin of infants and young children is weakly acidic, and the stratum corneum is thin. Clothing with a pH value of 4.0 ~ 7.5 is closer to the natural pH value of the skin and can reduce the irritation to the baby's skin.
5. Breathable. For baby's underwear, there are two environments of high temperature and high humidity in summer and winter, and low temperature and high humidity respectively. The fabric needs to have good moisture absorption and breathability.
6. Color fast and washable. The risk of discoloration of dark clothes may be greater than that of light-colored clothes. For babies who love to bite clothes during the oral period, ingestion of dyes and additives may cause skin allergies and physical discomfort.
If you need more jersey knit for your diy projects, pls go to coopertailor here for more product information.
Have you tried jersey knit sewing? Do you have a favorite program? Leave a comment below and let us know!
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked. *